Robotic surgery, or robot-assisted surgery, allows doctors to perform many types of complex procedures with more precision, flexibility and control than is possible with conventional techniques. Robotic surgery is usually associated with minimally invasive surgery — procedures performed through tiny incisions.
Tata Medical Center procured the Da Vinci Si (model) Robot with Dual Console and Advanced Imaging (Firefly) in May 2017. The procurement was made possible due to a CSR donation given by the Tata Education & Development Trust.
Robotic surgery is presently being offered for the following procedures:
- Urological Surgeries– Radical prostatectomy, Radical Cystectomy with Ileal Conduit, Pelvic Exenteration, Radical / Partial Nephrectomy, Ureteric Re-implantation, BoariFlap.
- GynaecologicalSurgeries–TotalHysterectomy, Pelvic Lymphadenectomy, Para Aortic Lymphadenectomy, Total Omentectomy, Radical Hysterectomy, Parametrectomy, Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy.
- Head and Neck Surgeries– Trans Oral Robotic Surgery for Tonsil, Base of Tongue, Oropharyngeal and Laryngeal Cancers, Retro Auricular Robotic Thyroidectomy, Neck Dissection, Submandibular Gland Excision.
- Thoracic Surgery–Oesophagectomy.
- Colorectal Surgeries– Anterior Resection, Sigmoid Colectomy, Abdomino-Perineal Resection.
There are handpicked surgeons from each department with adequate experience, expertise and training who, along with a dedicated team of nursing and technical staff, provide this service to the patients. Since its introduction in June 2017, over 470 robotic surgeries have been performed at TMC till date.